5 Things You Need To Know About Solvent Trap 2021
what are solvent traps?
solvent traps are designed to be threaded onto the end of a barrel, solvent traps are used to catch oils and solvents while you clean barrel. While the end caps of these kits are threaded in 1/2×28 or other common pitches, the end caps and cups are not being drilled as they would be in a suppressor.
Is solvent trap legal?
A firearm solvent trap in itself is not illegal to own, however you need to be cautious in what you do with an item like that. Solvent traps are used, or promoted to be used to make your own suppressors for firearms. Federally it is not illegal to own or make a suppressor, however your local laws may make it illegal to own one. There are two things that are very much illegal:
- Owning a suppressor that is not registered and with an NFA tax stamp. There are processes and forms you must deal with the ATF and get approval to make / own a suppressor legally.
- Intent to manufacture…. this can be a sticky area, if you own a solvent trap and use it to trap solvent then you are doing nothing wrong, however if you own it and even intend to make a suppressor out of it (even if that intent would be for after the breakdown of society with no more law and order) you are violating the law. Simply owning the solvent trap plus other parts that you would use to make a suppressor, even if not finally machined or assembled would violate this law. To that extent owning the solvent trap and having the directions printed out with it to make a suppressor (or these days your google history showing you were reading how to do it) could be considered intent and you would be violating the law.So not illegal to own on its own as a solvent trap, but you can easily be on thin ice owning one if you are even reading the wrong articles online…..
how to register solvent trap into suppressor?
Under Federal law (National Firearms Act 1934) a suppressor is a firearm. A firearm must have a serial number that is stamped into it. If you are making a suppressor, you would apply to the BATF for a serial number when you are sekking permission to build a suppressor. When they issue you a serial number, you have that stamped on the suppressor.
What is a form 1 kit?
dress on the apIt is the materials needed to construct your own suppressor. These are not suppressor parts, they are pre-machined (unfinished) components that allow you to build your own suppressor at home. All kits and some components will require an approved Form 1 before product can be shipped. All kits will be laser marked with NFA engravings matching the approved Form 1 and kits only ship to the adproved Form 1.
Which solvent trap material should I choose?
- Stainless steel & &7000-series aluminum: they work well for making your own tubes, baffles, and end caps.
- 4000-series carbon steel: it provides an affordable alternative. Steel is heavy, so many builders combine these two alloys.
- titanium: If you pursue the ultimate and have professional drilling equipment, titanium is your best choice
The products that are sold on kmwhisper.com are cleaning and safety devices and are NOT intended for any other use. As a solvent trap owner, you are solely responsible for what you do with your solvent trap. If you do decide to make any modifications that re-purpose the solvent trap into anything other than a cleaning, storage, & safety device, it is a strong recommendation you read and follow federal, state and local laws.